October 25, 2007

Should We Or Shouldn't We?

Our new compromise seems to be working well. Jerry thought it was hilarious, by the way, that I had made a mistake. He got a good laugh out of it.

There were lots of people over at the unschooling basics Yahoo! group who commented on a post I left there in regards to my problem with screen time. They were all really supportive and said it's true that if you let the child take control and if you stop freaking out, eventually the child will ease off on the games.

I would like to see that happen. I really would. But I just can't do it. It makes me so grouchy when he plays video games or sits at the computer all day.

Also, I do worry about what people will think. I know this is bad, bad, bad! I know I shouldn't care. But I do. Maybe as time goes on and I'm more sure of our decision to unschool I'll have more confidence. Maybe I'll lose the need for my choice to be acceptable to the people around me. I hope so. I think I'll get there eventually, but I'm not going to force it. It's not good for me or my relationship with my son--or my husband, for that matter.

Okay, on to more immediate issues....Here's the question. Should we or shouldn't we go to Hawaii?! Financially speaking the answer is a definite "No." It might even be a "No way! Are you crazy?!!" In fact, I think it is.

Here are the reasons (okay, justifications) for going:
1.) Warren has never been there.
2.) We're studying volcanoes and wouldn't a trip to Volcanoes National Park be an awesome field trip!!!??
3.) Warren's job is ending (he freelances in the film business) so he'll have some time off.
4.) Jerry's not in school so we're free to leave. (Yippee!!)
5.) My 39th birthday is next week.
6.) Christmas is just around the corner and it would be a fabulous Christmas gift for all of us.

The main reason for not going is also one of the reasons for going:
1.) Warren's job is ending so he'll have some time off. In other words, he'll be unemployed. No paycheck. Zip. Nada. Nothing. Okay, he'll get something from the government--but it's not much.

Hmmm. I'm stumped. Should we be financially responsible and play tourist at home? Or should we through caution and fiscal responsibility to the wind, whip out the credit card and have a real vacation?

I'm leaning towards the later.

No comments: