January 24, 2008

Salsa Dance Panic

I've always wanted to find a male friend that would go dancing with me. I love dancing. Any kind of dancing. So imagine my joy when one of the guys that went to the Jane Austen Ball with me and Angela said he'd go salsa dancing with me! Hooray! A dance partner! We're going to a lesson tonight but there's a hitch. It's an intermediate/advanced lesson. And I've only ever danced salsa once in my entire life. I was feeling sort of okay about it because the guy knows what he's doing and I can usually follow along but then I made the mistake of looking at the website for the club we're going to. I'm going to look ridiculous next to these people!!! Everyone else will be all hot and coordinated and I'm going to look--well, not. I had this really cute outfit picked out, but now I think I need to find something that will make be blend better--into the wall, that is.

I know this has nothing to do with unschooling but since I'm sharing my ineptness in the realm of parenting I figured I might as well go all out and share the rest of it. The one connection I can find between salsa dancing and homeschooling is that I had this same feeling on our very first park day. Even though park day was something I'd been looking forward to, when I got there I just wanted to run in the opposite direction. I stayed though. Yes, I persevered. And now I have friends. (Aww, do you hear the sappy music?) Of course, the possibilities for humiliation weren't nearly as ripe at park day as they will be in an intermediate/advanced salsa dancing class. Oh well, if it's too awful I guess I don't ever have to go back. It's not like I've never done that before. I had an ultra humiliating moment at the yoga studio down the street and haven't been back in three years. I can't tell you what was so embarrassing, though, unless I happen to meet you face to face. Even then I'll probably only tell you if we're sharing our second bottle of wine. It's a story that goes better with lots of wine. Heck, what story doesn't?

Ha! I just had a brainstorm. I'm going to watch some beginning salsa lessons on YouTube before I go!! Let's hope it helps. I'll fill you in on all the humiliating details in the morning.

No comments: