January 25, 2008

Salsa Update

Ow.

Ow.

Ow.

I can hardly walk. But boy did I ever have fun! And I didn't humiliate myself--much. I started to get a little sloppy towards the end of the evening because I could hardly stand, let alone keep my balance while twirling around the dance floor, but I opted to make a graceful exit at that point--if you can call hobbling down a flight of stairs graceful.

The lesson was no problem, really. The other dancers didn't seem super advanced (some of the guys in the class were beginners, too) and I was able to follow along pretty well. There was just one step that made me panic a little--oh, there were two, actually, but by the end I was looking forward to the second one because I had to throw myself across the guy's knee and arch my back (kind of like a dip but with no hands), which ended up giving me about three extremely welcome seconds of rest. The other step required that I do a fast cross-over-step-thing (which looked really sexy when done the right way) and then slide my right leg between the man's legs, bending my left knee so that I was crouched on the floor with one leg extended. Getting down wasn't really a problem, aside from the sexy walk thing, but getting up! Now that took some work. Whenever the guy widened his stance I knew he was expecting me to do that stupid sexy walk and slide to the ground so I always panicked. I think I only managed to do it right once the entire evening.

I think it's safe to say that was the best workout I've ever had in my life! This was largely thanks to the fact that my friend, David, is a really good dancer. If I'd been dancing with someone that only knew a few moves I'd probably be able to walk today, but it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. So, I'm going back next week! Woohoo! I hope my body has recovered by then.

No comments: