December 17, 2007

So What Do You Do All Day?

This is the question Jerry was asked by my friend Adriana on our way home from the airport.

Jerry's response? "Nothing really. Basically all I do is play video games and play on the computer all day."

I don't think the written word can do justice to the contortions my face must have gone through, or the amount of control it took not to reach over and squeeze Jerry's knee (hard) in order to transmit my psychic message of "Stop talking. Now!!" I think there was even a split second when I had to restrain myself from putting my hand over his mouth. I chalk this guttural reaction up to the fact that I've been sick and am not in possession of my usual social graces. Still....

I know this has been an issue before and JJ and Nance had some good answers for me but I can't remember...is it okay to lie? Like can I coach Jerry? Can we have an automatic response that includes something that resembles traditional education? I remember either JJ or Nance saying something about how fun it can be to hear how your kids answer that question. But "Nothing really. Basically all I do is play video games and play on the computer all day," seems to be Jerry's standard answer and it's killing me!!!

I just can't help feeling like that response reflects so badly on me.

No comments: