October 3, 2008

It's Me Again!

I'm back. As in, I think I'm coming out of my funk. What's different about today? Well, for one thing I'm still in my pajamas. I know. It could be completely unrelated, but here's the thing. I haven't felt like blogging lately, or doing much of anything really, other than feeling sorry for myself. But today I suddenly feel like blogging again. So as I was making a cup of tea this morning, I was thinking to myself, what's different about today? And then it came to me. I'm wearing pajamas.

See, since Xiquan moved in I've been having to get dressed (maybe it's better to say "dressed" since I'm still not wearing anything I could leave the house in) before coming up to the kitchen to sit at my computer. When we had girls living with us I had no problem strolling around in pjs but now that there's another guy in the house it's a different story. So I think there may be a connection between blogging and wearing pajamas! Does anyone else find they blog better in jammies? I know I can't be alone here.

So, now that I'm coming back to life I can tell you about some of the good stuff that's been happening. Yes, while I was sleeping life went on and some good things happened. I even had a hand in making some them happen--I just couldn't manage to get happy about them at the time.

Good thing #1: I'm going to be the new contact person for our homeschool group. This is my attempt to get myself off the blanket and away from the three people that I ever talk to at park day and meet some new people. I always do better in groups when I'm trying to make other people feel comfortable so if I'm there to greet new people that have called to ask me questions about the group, I'll be able to forget my own childish feelings of inadequacy and focus on making them feel welcome. That way I won't have time to feel sorry for myself. Pretty clever, eh?

Good thing #2: The deck is alomst finished! This weekend Warren and I are going to sand and oil it and paint the railings and then sometime next week someone will put in the steel cables that will make it safe for small children and then we'll be able to say the deck is finally done! Of course, I still have anxiety over the whole thing. Last night I dreamt that someone came into our year while we slept and dismantled the whole thing, then took off with all the wood. Next I dreamed that all the wood was back and we were just about to begin oiling it when it started to rain. Nightmares aside, the important thing is that it's almost finished.

Good thing #3: I have a wonderful husband. He's been so good to me this past month. He came home from work early one day this week when I was feeling especially low. He made me a CD with pdfs of the entire first year of my blog (comments included!). He's been getting home for dinner for the last couple weeks so we've actually been able to eat a meal together at the end of the day which has never happened before (unless he was unemployed) during our entire 17 years of marriage. Granted, we're not eating until 8 or 9 but we're eating togther and that's what counts. And we've been doing things together. We went to hear music at the library. We've walked down the street for dinner. We've spread out a blanket on our deck and sat outside under the four stars that are bright enough to outshine the city lights and sipped wine. We've been watching the Daily Show together at the end of the day. We went to see a movie together. Gosh, now that I'm listing all these things I find it hard to believe that I could have been feeling so low. Crazy, huh?

Good thing #4: I know I already said it but I'll say it again. My sister is coming all the way from Ireland for my birthday!!

Good thing #5: We saved two kittend from becoming coyote food. Here's the kitten update: We did end up taking them to a shelter because they were both crawling with fleas and they didn't use a litter box (one of them did but not the other). I decided I couldn't hand them off to someone else in that state, nor could I keep them here, especially since we already have two cats. I know I could have taken them to the vet and paid to get them vaccinated and treated for fleas but that would've cost a lot. So...I took them to the shelter where they will get a check up, vaccinations and flea treatment for only $68 each. I've got their ID numbers so I've been checking up on them daily and as of October 4 they'll be available for adoption. I'll probably give them a few days to be adopted and then if no one takes them I'll post bail and try finding homes for them. So that's the kitten story. Taking them to the shelter was really sad but now I'm able to see that it was the right thing to do. So that's good. (Still makes me a little sad though.)

Good thing #6: My friend Jill had a baby girl!!

Good thing #7: My friend Zefra has been calling me every day this week. She knew I needed her and she's been there for me even though she's going crazy planning her son's Bar Mitzvah and trying to open a new store in Berekley. Now that's a good friend!

Good thing #8: Jerry broke out his recorder this week and started teaching me to play.

Good thing #9: I bought running shoes and Warren and I have started walking 3 miles a few times a week. We're doing Saturday and Sunday for sure and then midweek when we can manage to stumble out of bed by 6. I know walking isn't running but it's only a hop skip and a jump away so I'm getting there!

Good thing #10: I feel like there should be an even 10 but nothing is jumping out at me here. Oh, I know! We have visitors coming! Friends from the Life is Good conference are going to stay the night after the WoW convention down in Anaheim. And my parents are coming down for a visit too. Oh my god and my friend Ursula (a friend from high school) is coming the following week. And Jerry's birthday party is coming up. And Halloween. Good grief. I'd better get off my butt and start preparing for all this activity.

Time to get out of my pjs!

No comments: