November 19, 2008

The Big Four-Oh

So I mentioned before that I set myself a goal of walking the entire coast of California by the time I turn fifty. My friend Sol was the inspiration behind my decision. He walked the California Coastal Trail in seven years back in the eighties. And at 93-years-old Sol still walks four miles every day. Every single day! At 93!!

I decided that the first portion of the walk I wanted to do was San Francisco, starting with crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. Even though I went to junior high and high school in the Bay Area I had never walked across the Golden Gate before.

So on November 1 (two days into my forties) me, Warren, Jerry, my mom, my dad and my sister (all the way from Ireland!) drove down to San Francisco from Sacramento in the pouring rain. We checked into the youth hostel at Fort Mason (the only place in the city where you can get a bed in a beautiful location with free parking for 22 bucks a night!) and made our dinner in the communal kitchen. Here's my mom hard at work.My sister's friend, Amy, and her husband, Bart, joined us for dinner and drinks in the dining room.It had been pouring for two days straight so we were worried that we might end up walking in the rain and we prepared accordingly. Sunday morning was dry though. Warren and Jerry headed off to Zeum for the day while the rest of us met my friends Lindy and Zefra at the Cliffhouse (where our walk would end). My dad drove us to the north side of the bridge--the beginning of our walk. Here we are. From left to right that's Zefra, Lindy, me, Jenny (my sister) and my mom. And so we begin. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves from here on out.It felt so good to be surrounded by some of my favorite people on the planet for an entire day of walking in one of my favorite places on the planet. I have a lot to look forward to in the next ten years!

No comments: