November 6, 2008

Catching Up

I haven't downloaded the photos from my beautiful birthday celebration walk in San Francisco last Sunday but I will soon (or maybe next week when I get home). Yesterday we celebrated the Obama victory by going to an arcade (Jerry's choice) and then to Sutter's Fort (my choice) in Sacramento where we bought a flint and steel fire starting kit. We're going to try making some fire this morning before we head back to San Francisco to visit the extremely cool looking, brand new, California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. We'll be staying at a hostel in Marin for two nights before going to my friend's son's Bar Mitzvah on Sunday. Then, finally, on Monday we're going home.

I few things have happened that I haven't had a chance to write about. First off, literally one day after I told a friend we weren't really being affected by the economic crisis I was forced to eat my word (they're always so tasty) when we learned that the studio had decided to put the movie Warren's working on on hiatus (read: unpaid vacation). I won't go into the reasons for their decision (hint: it has to do with stupidity and incompetence) but suffice it to say we were a little freaked out. But wait! There's good news, too. Most of the crew is being let go but the studio wants to keep Warren and the visual effects editor working just enough to keep them from finding other jobs so they've proposed a three day work week (with one overlapping day when they're both in the cutting room). A three-day work week definitely beats unemployment but we were still a little freaked out. I mean it's not like we have extra money at the end of the month. But we've decided to look on the bright side, cut back expenses where we can, and enjoy the time together.

This is a classic case of "be careful what you wish for." I've always wanted Warren to work less. Always. And I'm about to get my wish. Next time I make that wish, however, I'll be sure to wish louder for the part where he works less but makes the same amount of money--a small but crucial distinction. Ah well. We're going to look on the bright side. We'll cut back. Conserve. Stick to a budget. We'll get back to the careful spending patterns we had established back when we first met and had barely enough to get by but still managed to save $7000 (it took a long time!) so we could backpack around Europe. It'll be good for us, I think. (Will someone please remind me that I wrote that two months from now when I'm complaining?)

In other news, my sister and I had a fabulous visit while she was here. I love her so much and I can't wait for her to come back to California. Did I mention that she's pregnant? Yep, both my brother and sister are having babies now and once again I had the pleasure of listening to my grandmother tell me how sad it is that Jerry is alone in the world. How he "has no one" because he is an only child. Yes, my grandmother has actually told me we need to have sex more. In her defense she was heavily medicated at the time. Still. I'd have to say that was one of the most surreal moments of my life and I hope it never happens again. Ever.

No comments: