September 21, 2009

Overwhelmed

I was talking to Warren on Saturday morning about how I've been feeling really overwhelmed lately. I just have so much hanging over my head at the moment. My grandma's estate stuff, trying to find things for Jerry to do, wondering how we'll manage to keep paying the mortgage if Warren is out of work until February (which is starting, more and more, to look like a real possibility), keeping on top of the house (admittedly this is not very important to me, but I still feel like I should be doing it), editing the newsletter for this writers group, and a bunch of other stuff. And this week, in particular, is really full. Tonight I'm going to Mom's Night Out (with some other homeschool moms), tomorrow night I'm hosting my book club here at our house, Thursday night is Jerry's birthday party (a few weeks early because one of his best friends is moving to Texas on Saturday), and we're having a 20th anniversary party (20 years since Warren spent the summer in a van following the Dead and 20 years since we met--at the end of that summer). When you're overwhelmed with responsibilities and someone asks you to take on even more responsibility, the appropriate response would be, "No thanks," right? Wrong! I've just agreed to portray a woman named Marian Osgood Hooker in a living history cemetery tour on Saturday morning before the party. I was so excited when I agreed to do it and then about thirty minutes later I thought, "Am I insane!?" Aaaaaahhhhhhhh! I just need to breathe deep and make myself a list of things that need to get done this week and start to check them off one by one.

Here's what the week looks like so far:

Monday - Mom's Night Out (so I have all day to clean house, do laundry, pay bills, work on Grandma's estate, and to sew a few things for my friend Sol, who I meet with on...)

Tuesday - 9-11 am Sol's house, 12-1 pm Jerry's Japanese lesson, 2-5 pm silk screening class (very excited about that!), 6 pm community meeting on solar power (may have to skip that), 8 pm Book Club (at which I need to have a fabulous spread for the other book lovers to enjoy--thank goodness for Trader Joe's!)

Wednesday - 1 pm - ? Park day and good-bye tea party for Jerry's friend Yulia, 8 pm rehearsal for living history tour

Thursday - 4 pm - late Jerry's birthday party

Friday - Get ready for Saturday

Saturday - 9 am-1:30 pm Living History Tour, 4 pm anniversary party at our house

Sunday -recover

Monday - Clean house in preparation for...

Tuesday - Four visitors from New Zealand!

Phew! It's a lot, but looking over the week I can see that I do have plenty of time to get it all done. And it's all good, fun, stuff. There's no drudgery on that list (except for the stuff I have to do today--which may be why I'm sitting at my computer blogging instead of getting the work done!).

I feel a little better though--not quite as overwhelmed. Okay, then. I guess I'll stop blogging and get to work. But maybe I'll make some iced tea first. That sounds good. And, oh! I forgot to mention that I harvested four cantaloupe from my garden this week (which I planted from seed!) and they were great! It was so exciting!! I know food grows from seed and all, but isn't it amazing!? I started with this one little seed and a few months later I'm eating the juiciest cantaloupe ever--and it's filled with about a million more seeds. It's like magic. Only it isn't. It's just nature and life and growth and it's so cool. And now I really am just trying to avoid the work I need to do today. I need to go. Oh, but there's one more thing. Jerry and I spent the day with my cousin and her daughter yesterday. It was such a nice day. The kids played in the pool and we got to hear all about their year spent living on a sailboat (they just returned home in August). They had a fabulous time and only thought they were going to die twice, which seems pretty good considering they were at the mercy of the ocean for a whole year.

One last thing before I go. Here's a snippet of conversation Jerry and I had when we were driving down to my cousin's:
Jerry: (Looking at the GPS) We'll be there in 40 minutes so we should get there at 1:23 exactly.
Me: No that can't be right.
Jerry: It is mom, look. (Adjusts GPS to show arrival time.) See, it says 1:23. Just because I don't do math worksheets doesn't mean I can't do math.

No comments: