December 18, 2009

A Successful Meal!

We had dinner guests from Switzerland tonight and I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to serve. Because I don't have the menu planning gene, I was really agonizing over it. I looked through cookbooks, websites, magazines--but nothing seemed right. So then (and I should have thought to do this before) I called my sister who happens to be an amazing cook and right away she said, "Why don't you roast a chicken and make some macaroni and cheese to go with it? Then just steam some broccoli for a vegetable." So I did! And it was great!

I was so nervous about the chicken because I don't usually roast whole chickens (or any kind of chickens)--I tend to shy away from anything that screams "I was once alive!" and bones and blood fall into that category. (I was a vegetarian from ages 15-30.) But, I bought a whole cut-up chicken. I washed each disgusting piece. Patted them dry. Rubbed them with olive oil and a mixture of dry spices and salt and put them in a pan. Then stuck it in the oven. And it was really good! I'm sure I over cooked it because I was terrified that I might poison our guests at the very beginning of their American holiday, but the meat was still nice and juicy. And the macaroni and cheese was really good, too. Phew! I'm so relieved!

The Swiss family was really nice, too. They have two kids: a boy, aged 7 and a girl aged 10. And they brought us some lovely Swiss presents (including chocolate, of course!) We'd never met them before, but they'll be staying in our house while we're in Sacramento for Christmas. We organized it through the house swap site that we used for our trip to France. It'll work out really well because they need a place to stay and we need someone to feed the cats. It's a win-win situation!

And on top of all that I can now say, at the ripe old age of 41, that I know how to roast a chicken!

1 comment:

Cook'n said...

I am so glad I found this! Like you, I love cooking and like a lot of people, my weakness is cookbook and recipe collecting. Thank goodness I found some recipe software that’s simplified my life a ton. FINALLY I can find what I need, when I need it, without having to scour through boatloads of recipes and books! (I’ve included the link in case you are interested.) Finally, thanks so much for a great blog—I love your information and how reader-friendly it is!