September 20, 2007

Let's Make A Deal (Or, Creating A Schedule)

I think yesterday's post pretty much covered What I Learned from week one, so I won't add to it. Instead I'll tell you about my agreement with J. This morning, on day nine of deschooling, J and I talked about how we've been spending our time. We both agreed (mainly becasue I suggested it) that we seem to lose time when we spend the day in front of our laptops. In J's words, "time just doesn't exist" when we're at the computer. So, we made a list of things J might want to get done during the week (I did make a few suggestions) and J created a schedule for fitting them in.

Here's what he came up with:

Free time at the computer will occur in the morning, before lunch.

When I start to make lunch, J will turn off the computer and spend five minutes practicing Trombone, then five minutes reviewing Japanese. After lunch he'll do the same.

Afternoons are for fun activities. At the moment they include:

- Building a model of Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius, then making Mt. Vesuvius erupt.
- Playing with a marble roller coaster made from foam tubing. We saw this at NextFest--J loves it. Click here for instructions on how to make a marble coaster of your own.
- Creating a fountain with soda and pixie sticks or mentos.
- Building a fort in our backyard.
- Making a worm bin for vermicomposting. (This is actually my project, but J said he'd help.)

When I start dinner J will stop what he's doing and practice drawing. He's taking a weekly drawing lesson because he wants to learn how to draw manga.

After dinner we'll have free time for playing games (he's teaching me to play chess), reading, or watching DVDs together. (No computer!)

So, that's the agreement. We both signed the bottom to make it more official and I posted it in the kitchen.

We'll see how it goes. Technically, I don't think we're supposed to create schedules when we're deschooling, but my husband is clearly unhappy with the amount of time J has been spending on the computer, and I'm not exactly comfortable with it either. Going to the computer or watching television becomes a habit in the blink of an eye and I don't want J spending his time playing computer games just because it's the first thing that comes to mind. He has so many other interest, it seems like it should be okay for me to help him find ways to fit them into his daily life.

Will this schedule put a knot in our deschooling process? Will J even follow it? I guess I'll find out.

1 comment:

Faith said...

I am simply amazed at the similarity of your blog to what i'm going through right now. I have 3 children.. 11 yo boy(ADD), 9 Yo boy (ASPIE) and 8 YO Girl, (going on 18 in sooooo many ways)

the boys are obsessed with their electronics. I've tried "screen time tokens" and no DS after dinner, etc. Currently we do electronics only on the weekend or for LONG car trips. My Aspie goes into a state of almost depression if he can't play on his DS on the weekend (such as when we have company) or in the car on a long trip (such as when I made him stop because he kept getting car-sick on Mountain roads). I really don't know what to do... Maybe I'll try this and they will get tired of it. One of their Christmas presents is also a Google Tablet for School Use Only. Maybe I'll download a bunch of "educational" apps and just let them go to town on those.... hmmmm