September 19, 2007

Thoughts on Deschooling - Week One

We are off to Disneyland today for the Unofficial Not-Back-To-School Day. So I'm just going to leave some abbreviated Thoughts On Week One. I'll add to it later on tonight if I have any brain cells left.

1.) We followed our bliss all week and it was fun, fun fun!

2.) Even though I was having fun I could still hear the niggling voice in the back of my head (it sounded suspiciously like my husband) saying "What did he learn today?"

3.) I think J told his trombone teacher he does nothing but play video games all day, so I'm thinking of having a talk with him about honesty vs. withholding information and how most people might view my leniency as neglect. I'm expecting a visit from social services any day now.

4.) I learned how to skate around the dreaded "What did you do today?" question. The trick is to focus on a subject you may have discussed, however briefly, and give the questioner, in minute detail, every bit of knowledge you have on the subject. I figured this out when my grandma asked me what we had done for school. (I can't bring myself to tell her about unschooling because I don't want her to have a heart attack.) I told her we discussed Einstein's "cosmological constant," then told her everything I knew about it. She stopped asking questions.

5.) Since I've been looking for things that might interest J, my eyes have been opened to a whole world of fascinating subjects which I'd ignored for most of my life. All of a sudden science actually looks fun!

1 comment:

OrganicSister said...

Haha @ "nothing but video games"!! We ALL have some of those stories to tell! Here's just ONE of ours:

http://heartschooling.blogspot.com/2007/09/z-isms.html