October 23, 2009

Enough

You know what's funny? Whenever I start to worry about Jerry (and I've probably said this before because it keeps happening) and how he spends his time, the very next day he does something completely different. I don't know why it always surprises me. And you know what else? I was getting all worried about "am I doing enough?" and all, but I also had a migraine so I wasn't feeling too good. And I think that had a lot to do with my worry--not that I don't worry when I'm feeling well. But now that I think about it, I really don't worry that much anymore. I'm bordering on being one very confident unschooling parent. Wow. How did that happen? With all my angst and worry in the beginning it felt like I'd never get to this place. I guess part of what's happened is that since I've stopped voicing my concerns to Jerry I find that he tends to take care of those concerns on his own. It's not always exactly the way I wish he would do it--but then he's not me. So he has his own way of doing things.

One thing that had been happening the last few months was that Jerry was staying up until about 2 a.m. and getting up around 11. I didn't say anything about it. But when he had a few bad days I suggested that coming to bed when Warren and I go to bed (around 11 or 12) might help. I did a little cajoling but not much. Besides, since he was staying up later than me, we couldn't read together and we've always liked to read aloud before bed. So I suggested starting a new book. He went for it and for a few weeks was going to bed at the same time as his dad and me (but sleeping much later) and then a couple nights ago he was up until 2 again. And last night he told me that he doesn't feel good when he stays up that late. It makes him feel negative and grouchy (I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist). So he came to the conclusion himself. Which is the whole point of radical unschooling, really.

Anyway, I know I'm not being very clear or concise. I just wanted to get that out of my head and into the blogosphere but I don't have time to write a really great post about it. I have to pick up Warren's car at the mechanics, we need to get to Jerry's dog walking job, and then we're going to see Astro Boy with one of the girls from the Santa Monica unschooler park day and her mom and then we're going to park day, and then we have the long traffic-jammed ride home from Santa Monica, which I'm actually looking forward to because we'll be listening to Leviathan the whole way!

Can someone just smack me next time I say we don't do enough?

No comments: