October 13, 2009

Ramblings

I don't have much to say, but I wanted to check in anyway. It looks like the New York people we were hoping to swap with aren't available now. I'm not giving up hope, though! I've already sent our some e-mails and am keeping my fingers crossed we can find someone who wants to do an exchange--even if it's just on the East coast within an hour or two of New York City (anyone? Bueller?). Jerry's birthday dinner was great. Yesterday was his actual birthday so he is officially 14 now. (Eh gads!) We were going to start working with the arduino today, but I think we may finish our other projects first. We have at least three that need finishing and I think it would be a good idea to get those out of the way before we start something new. Still, I'm excited about learning to use the arduino. I bought a book called Getting Started with Arduino yesterday which will be very helpful. I know we can probably get all the information in the book on the internet, but it's nice to be able to flip through a book for information sometimes. Jerry is going to start using Rosetta Stone for Japanese this week and I'm going to use the French version. He's had the program for a while but hasn't really used it. His teacher says it will really help so I'm going to be giving him gentle reminders three times a week that he wanted to started using it. He decided not to do the internship at the Natural History Museum because he doesn't know how to use a lot of the technology they'd need him to use. My friend at the museum said he'd teach him but Jerry said it would feel too much like school. So, I'm going to encourage him to learn those things on his own and hope that he decides to do an internship next year. I think if he started it he'd really love it, so I hope he'll take the job eventually. I'm going to put together an electronics project for Halloween that I'm hoping some of the other boys (or girls) in the homeschool group will be interested in. We're going to make a picture with eyes that will follow you across a room. I just need to figure out how much it will cost to put the kits together so I can let people know. If it goes well I plan on doing regular electronics "classes." They won't really be classes since I won't be teaching, but I'm not sure what else to call them. Speaking of teaching, last week I went to listen to Terrence Roberts, a man who was one of the "Little Rock Nine" (one of the first black students at a high school in Little Rock after desegregation) at a book signing and he was talking about education and he said he thought the word "teacher" was a misnomer. He said we should get rid of the word and use something like "master learner" instead, since we're all always learning--and it's the learning that's important. I like that idea. And I like to think of myself as a master learner rather than a teacher. Anyway, the weather has been really nice. Much cooler and kind of crisp, but sunny. Not today, though. It's going to rain today (yippee!) but we haven't put plastic over the leaky spots in the roof yet. Actually, I think we're out of plastic, so I need to buy plastic today, too. Jerry and I just finished listening to The Printer's Devil on audio book. We really enjoyed it. The woman that read it was terrific and there's a huge surprise in the middle of the book that neither of us saw coming. Now we're listening to The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson but I think I'm going to have to give up on that one. The relationships between the main character and his parents are really annoying and shallow and the way the reader does all the characters makes them all seem very stereotypical. And as we all know, the stereotypical teen is not a person we want to listen to for several hours at a time. Poor teens. They get such a bad wrap. Anyway, time for me to get off the computer and get busy. If you've read this far, you're a true bloggy friend!

No comments: