February 13, 2008

Homesick

I was going to write about what a great time we've been having--and we have, really. But I'm feeling kind of low. It's 10:00 and Warren is still at work. That's not unusual but he called about two hours ago to say he was leaving work (which is about 15 minutes away) and then got caught up in some drama (yes, there's even drama behind the scenes) and he's still not here. If I don't expect him to be here I'm fine with his absence. But when I think he's coming home I look forward to it, so when he doesn't show up it's really disappointing.

I think I'm just in a funk today. Even watching the boats on the water was making me sad. I was standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes as about twenty sailboats drifted back and forth across the water. It's meditative, in a way, watching them move in sync like that, until you start to think about how the people on the boats are actually on the boats, probably with friends, and you're standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes and all your friends are an ocean away and your husband is still at work and your son is homesick. See, I told you I was in a funk.

I shouldn't be. We actually had a really nice day. We took the bus to Parnell, which is the neighborhood we'll be moving to on the 26th. We went out there to go to an art supply store (bought a really cool silk screening kit) and then walked around the neighborhood. We'll be renting a wonderful little house at the end of a cul de sac there. It's going to be a big improvement over the hotel. The hotel is nice but it's still a hotel. We'll be near a big public pool, a huge park, lots of shops and cafes and a cute little bookstore.

Oh, and I haven't had a chance yet to tell you about our wonderful day on Monday. We were invited to spend the day with a homeschooling family about a forty minute bus ride away. It was so fun! There were two families there, actually, both with boys close to Jerry's age. He had a really nice time and Marcia (our hostess) and her friend Anita made me feel right at home. We're going back out for dinner on Sunday night with Warren, then Jerry and I will spend the night so we can get an early start on a trip to Goat Island with them the following morning. Goat Island is supposed to be really beautiful for snorkeling and diving so we'll be doing a bit of snorkeling. We're both looking forward to it.

Next week we'll be going to an unschooler park day. I'm really looking forward to that, too. I know I have a lot to look forward to. I guess I'm just a little homesick.

No comments: