February 11, 2008

Mutiny At The Hotel

Okay, mutiny may be a bit strong, but there's definite unrest. Jerry has said he's not going to walk or take the bus anywhere anymore. End of story. During the conversation leading up to this declaration I started out by acknowledging that it's hard to be away from home but said we would get to see lots of really cool things. He said he doesn't care. I took a calming breath. I said it's only temporary. He said a week is temporary, three months is not temporary. I said "Actually, by definition three months is still temporary," but he said he doesn't go by "definition." I took another deep calming breath. I said when we find ourselves in situations that we don't like we should first determine if the situation can be changed. Our current situation can't be changed because we can't afford to rent a car here and even if we could we don't have a place to park it. Once we've determined there is no changing a situation we need to find ways to accept it. To look on the bright side. He said there is no bright side to walking and taking the bus. I forgot the calming breath and said there is a bright side ecologically speaking and by the way there are children all over the world whose families cannot afford a car for even one day let alone every day and they have to walk everywhere all the time and they're lucky if they can afford to take the bus. He said next time his dad gets a job on location he is not going. "Period." I said "Well, if you don't want to go anywhere you can always stay here with a babysitter." He didn't say anything. I took a deep breath and stayed beside him on the couch for a few minutes trying to think of the right thing to say. (You know, something that doesn't start with "Listen you little ingrate...".) All I could come up with was "Well, I don't know what to say," which I said. Then I came to my computer and started writing.

Midway through the previous paragraph he came over and gave me a hug and said, "I think you understand how I'm feeling." I said I did. And I do. It's no surprise to me that he's not a fan of self-propelled or public transportation. He never has been. I had hoped, however, that we'd make it through the first few weeks before he flat out refused to go anywhere on foot. His constant refrain the past two days has been "Can't we take a taxi?" Mind you, we're not walking huge distances. Today he wanted to take a taxi three blocks. I think I'm going to have to come up with some kind of compensation in return for his cooperation. Something like I'll go swimming with him if he walks somewhere with me. Anyone have any ideas?

No comments: