January 25, 2010

Jane Austen Ball


The ball was so fun! I finally feel comfortable with most of the dances so I don't look like a deer caught in the headlights when my turn comes around--at least I hope I don't! The picture is me, Angela, and David. If Angela and I want to dance with David we have to snatch him up quickly before someone else does because men are such a hot commodity at the ball. Next year we might have two men. Angela's neighbor said he would go, so that will be nice. In the beginning it was a lot easier to dance with a man because sometimes keeping the parts straight is difficult. But on Saturday night I danced with lots of female partners as well an males and I think now that I'm more familiar with the dances I can switch between the two with ease. Anyway, it was loads of fun and I highly recommend going to any Jane Austen event you can find. I have some video which I'll put up as soon as Jerry shows me how to download it.

In other news, we've worked out another house swap! Yippee! We're going to swap with a family that has a house three hours North of San Francisco, in Point Arena. It's in the Redwoods and has a view of the ocean! And we get to bring our dog! Can you tell I'm excited? We're going the second week in February and will return just in time for me to start my classes the following week.

Also, I've started on a new healthier eating regime. And it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I'm eating almost no diary, no white flour, very little wheat and tons of fruits, vegetables, legumes and quinoa. That's about it. Plus, I've been scouring the NYTimes site for recipes from Mark Bittman (the Minimalist) because he makes everything sound so easy. And that's what I need--easy. I just finished his book, Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating and I loved it. I also got his How to Cook Everything Vegetarian from the library and it's fabulous as well. I think I'll have to buy that one (used, though because I'm not buying new this year!).

Jerry is staying up until 4am or later these days and I do wish he'd go to bed a little earlier. It's very annoying to be a radical unschooler because if you're not going to set arbitrary limits (like bedtimes, in many cases) you need a very good reason to request that your child change his or her habits. And then if he or she doesn't really want to follow your suggestion there isn't much you can do because you can't just suddenly start being all authoritarian. It doesn't sit right. But Jerry looked a little like a zombie yesterday (there were no zombies at the ball, by the way--I thought there might be.) and I'm thinking he really does need to be in bed by 2. That way he can sleep until 12 (with the dog walking job he needs to be up by 12:30 at the latest) and still get a solid ten hours (which is his usual amount).

Anyway, I'm thinking of setting an alarm for myself so I can remind him to come to bed around 2. He's more likely to stop what he's doing if he has a gentle reminder about the time and he likes to be tucked in, so that might work. The only drawback is that I'll be looking like a zombie!

10 comments:

Frank said...

You look lovely!

I'd come to the ball, IFF I lived near you and could come as a zombie!

Zayna said...

Love the costumes! Yours especially, such a vibrant blue. And the gloves, don't get me started...they're just awesome. :)

I have the same issue with Daughter as far as "bedtime" goes. She has no problem being up until the wee hours and I myself am usually asleep by 11.

I'm not sure though that I would even be functional if I set an alarm for 2 am just to remind her to go to bed.

Colleen said...

Thanks, Frank. :) I suspected you would be one of the rare men that might actually attend such an event. If only you were closer!

Thank you, Z! I think I'm going to make a new dress for next year, though. I've worn that one for the past five years and I'm ready for something new.

Shady Lady said...

You look stunning! And you can sew, too? Impressive!!

Cate said...

You look gorgeous! And nice to see that you two ladies had a dashing man to share :-)

Oh I hear you on the bedtime thing. I'm not a "radical" unschooler as you know, but I have given the kids a lot of freedom to choose how they live (more than they realise I think!) - and bedtimes is the one area that I and hubby in particular struggle with, as both kids are real night owls. I am to an extent, but Jono can pull all nighters like Jerry quite happily.

Cate said...

You look gorgeous! And nice to see that you two ladies had a dashing man to share :-)

Oh I hear you on the bedtime thing. I'm not a "radical" unschooler as you know, but I have given the kids a lot of freedom to choose how they live (more than they realise I think!) - and bedtimes is the one area that I and hubby in particular struggle with, as both kids are real night owls. I am to an extent, but Jono can pull all nighters like Jerry quite happily.

Cate said...

Don't know why that posted twice??!!

Sorry about that - twice the love hey?

C x

Such Lovely Freckles said...

Oh my gosh, I love it. You look beautiful.

Colleen said...

Thanks guys. Wow. I should get gussied up and put pictures of it on my blog more often. It's so good for my ego! :)

Andrea said...

I, too, have to say how lovely you look, and wow, you got to dance too, I don't think people in VT do that!

And thanks for the bedtime heads up. My boys are still young enough that they want to be in bed when I go, but I know that day is coming when they don't care if I am in bed or not.

I watch with interest.....