May 6, 2010

Possibility

I haven't posted any poems in a while, but this morning I was visiting one of my favorite sites and saw a video of Bill Murray reading some poetry to construction workers in New York City. They were all kind of laughing and Murray was poking fun at the poems, until this one by Emily Dickinson. The workers got really quiet and serious as this poem was read aloud. And they applauded when it was done. It kind of sums up how I've been feeling lately–with people giving so generously to the books drive–so I thought I'd post it for you.

I dwell in Possibility –
A fairer House than Prose –
More numerous of Windows –
Superior – for Doors –

Of Chambers as the Cedars –
Impregnable of eye –
And for an everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky –

Of Visitors – the fairest –
For Occupation – This –
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise –
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Thank you for posting that.

It made my day.

:)