August 30, 2010

Who is Teaching Who Here?!

Last week Jerry changed servers on WoW so he could play with his friend Michelle. But she doesn't play as often as Jerry, so he's been really bummed about his decision to switch. The change cost $25 and now he's thinking about changing back to his old server (which will cost another $25). We were talking about making the change while we walked Patsy last week...


Me: But if you change back it's like throwing $50 out the window.


Jerry: No it isn't. It's spending $50 on something that I really want.


Me: Oh. You're right. I guess that's a better way to look at it.


So, that was lesson number one. For me. But school wasn't over. There was more to learn...


I was feeling especially blah that day. (I know. It's getting old, right?) Usually I keep my mouth shut when I feel this way because I tend to regret the things that come out of it. But, Jerry asked. So, I told him I was still struggling with figuring out what to do with myself now that he doesn't really need me around during the day. I told him it was kind of depressing to be alone while he's sleeping and that I'm tired of making so many plans that don't include him.

Then I said: You know what, though. I shouldn't even be talking about this right now. It's coming out like you should be changing something and that's not what I mean. It's just me. I'm having trouble adjusting.

Jerry said: No. It's OK. I tell you about my problems all the time. You should be able to tell me yours.

Me: Yeah. I guess. I just don't want you to think I'm criticizing you.

Jerry: I can handle a little criticism now and then. I mean, people I consider my friends have told me they think I'm lifeless. And I'm fine with it.

Me: It doesn't bother you that they think that?

Jerry: No because I'm doing what makes me happy. Why should it matter what they think?

Me: You're right. It shouldn't matter to you as long as you enjoy what you're doing. That's really great.

Jerry: I think a lot of people either live in the past or in the future, but I just live in the moment. I don't think too much about the other stuff--maybe I should.

Me: A lot of people work their whole lives to live more in the moment and still find it difficult! I don't think you need to change. Buddhists believe in living in the moment. Maybe you're a Buddhist and you didn't even know it!

Jerry: I'm a big fat guy with no shirt?

Me: Buddhist not Buddha.

Jerry: I know. I'm kidding.

Jerry is my hero.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Wow - out of the mouths of babes. Clever guy:-)

momentsofwhimsy said...

Love it :-)

Sheri said...

Awesome post! That Jerry sure has a keen head on his shoulders.

Emma plays WoW and she's done the exact same thing and we pretty much had that conversation verbatim.

Where I saw it as a waste of money, she saw it as just making another choice.

And of course, since she used her own money it was very difficult for me to argue.

I love the bit about Buddha...too funny. :D

Shady Lady said...

What a wise soul Jerry is! I am truly moved by his thoughts, words and philosophy on life. We could all learn a lot from him. BIG GIANT WOW!!!