March 1, 2008

Quick Post

I just wanted to drop in to say hello. I'm still here. Jerry's homesickness hasn't caused me to jump off any tall buildings (with or without a bungee). It's just that we've been going going going all week and by the time we get home I'm not so good at forming coherent sentences, let alone writing something anyone else would care to read.

So here's a quick update of what's been going on:

1. We've moved into our house! It's got floor to ceiling windows on two sides, four sets of double doors that open onto a wooden deck, lush tropical plants throughout the garden and it's close to fabulous restaurants, cafes, a bakery, a fish monger, and lots of historic buildings. I love it!

2. We had a record number of meetings with Auckland home- and un- schoolers this week. Monday we had the Middlemas family over to the hotel for lunch and a swim. Tuesday they helped us move into our house. Wednesday we had a double hitter with the first part of the day spent at Rainbow's End, a small theme park (we had it almost entirely to ourselves!) with Cate and her fabulous daughter and the evening spent with Shell and her family.

3. Thursday we took the bus to a beautiful neighborhood called Glendowie and met an entirely new family with two boys aged 9 and 12. The older boy plays War Hammer, which Jerry plays as well, so they were both glad to find someone to share their War Hammer interest with.

4. Friday we spent a relaxing morning at home (we needed it!) and then went for a sail on an America's Cup yacht. I have some great pictures to share with you from the experience but they aren't on my computer yet so I'll post them later. It was so exhilarating! We both got to steer the boat and I worked as a grinder. (When asked if he wanted to helped Jerry replied that he's a "not a worker.") Now I want to take sailing lessons and get a boat of my own. This, however, conflicts with my desire to take horseback riding lessons and get a horse of my own--I don't think we can afford both--or one for that matter!

5. Now I come to today. We relaxed. I thought Warren was going to have to work this weekend but he ended up being off. It was pouring when we awoke and the many windows in this house made for spectacular viewing from our bed. The wind was blowing through the trees like mad and rain was pelting down on the skylights and windows and Warren, Jerry and I watched it all from our cozy, warm bed. When we finally got out of bed we played a game of New Zealand Monopoly (it's sitting half finished on the coffee table) and then went out to a comic book store (very disappointing--not much manga) and did some shopping for a few things for the house.

So, the week was busy. One of the things I was thinking I'd like to write about is the amazing number of homeschoolers I've met so far and how great it is to see how each family creates a version of homeschooling or unschooling that's right for them. It's so interesting for me to get to meet all these people and talk to them about what they do and why. I almost feel like I should be writing a book about it! (That might take some of the fun out of it though.)

Tomorrow we are off to Waitomo to see the glowworms!

No comments: