July 18, 2008

Five-Day Plan

We're taking Jerry to summer camp tomorrow so you may not hear from me for a few days (the horror!). Here's the plan: the three of us fly up to Sacramento tomorrow morning, borrow my mom and dad's car, and drive to camp (even though his session doesn't officially start until the following day). We'll all spend the night at camp on Saturday night (so Warren will get to see it--yippee!) and on Sunday Warren and I will return to Sac (but since Jerry doesn't officially start camp until after lunch we'll probably take advantage of the morning to go for a swim in the river--I can't wait!). Warren flies home that evening, I spend Sunday night at my mom's, Monday night at my friend Jill's, Tuesday night at my friend Zefra's and on Wednesday I hit the rails. Yes, I'm taking the train home! My ticket was only $43!! Sure, it's going to take twice as long as it would to drive, but I'll be blissfully alone with a book (or two), an iPod, and a lovely view as we speed (or inch) along the California Coast. Wahoo!

On the unschooling front we've had a great week. Jerry and I have been making personal crests (we're going to make a family one, too), building with Kaplas, listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (poor Harry--it's a tough year for him), putting together a big puzzle, baking, and generally enjoying our time together. Oh, and homeschool park day yesterday was great. It's always a struggle to get Jerry to go, but early in the week one of the boys had sent out an e-mail suggesting people bring water guns (it's been sooooo hot here lately!) and that helped a lot. We picked up Jackson on the way, stopped and bought a couple water guns and went to the park. I hardly saw the boys once we arrived. By the time we left, 2 1/2 hours later, they were soaked to the bone and thoroughly happy about it.

It was a good day for me too. I usually glom onto the same person every week (sorry Lisa!), which means I don't meet very many people. But my friend left early yesterday so I was forced to branch out and ended up having a great discussion with four or five other mom's about why we homeschool (because one of the mom's was new to homeschooling). It was really nice.

Now we just have a couple last minute items to buy for camp, Warren and I need to pack our stuff, and we'll be all ready to help Jerry begin his sleep-away camp adventure!

No comments: