February 10, 2010

Defeat & Victory

Defeat:
I've given up on my career as a worm castings farmer (or vermicomposter). I sold the worm bin on Craigslist for $45 yesterday, after my worms died. Yet again. They were doing so well just before Christmas, but then I unthinkingly threw a bunch of food and eggshells in before we left for the holiday. It was just too much for them. The result was mold, flies, and dead worms. So no more worms for me. My regular compost pile is doing really well now and I'm just going to stick with that.

Victory:
I really, really want one of those expensive, super powerful Vita-Mix blenders. My parents bought one a couple years ago and I've been patiently waiting for the Vita-Mix to join the other unused (or rarely used) appliances in their garage so I can surreptitiously transport it to my own kitchen, but it just isn't happening. They keep using the darn thing. So, when I heard they were on sale at Costco, I asked Warren to stop by and check out the price. Sadly, (and as expected, really) the Vita-Mix does not fit into the unemployment budget. So, on a whim, I posted an ad on FreeCycle. It must have been a month ago that I put that post up and I had given up on the idea of getting one completely. In fact, I hadn't held out much hope of getting one in the first place because even used (like on Craigslist) they sell for a well over two hundred dollars. But guess what I found in my inbox this morning?

OK. Enough guessing. I'll tell you. I got an e-mail from a guy who said he'll give me his Vita-Mix blender!!!! Can you believe it!? He said can he have a six-pack of Miller in return and I told him I'd give him a case!

Yippee!!

5 comments:

momentsofwhimsy said...

Woo-hoo on the vitamix thingy (whatever that is!) - and RIP to your worms.

You have made me think twice about a worm farm - may also stick to the regular compost heap!

Have a great day!
C x

Lynn said...

Pity about the worms:-(
What a result on the Vitamix:-)
xx

Anonymous said...

You will love the vita max! And the one in Sacramento is still doing well!
Chuckling Sacramento
And, we got 4 free tickets to go see Disney on Ice tomorrow night! YoooHoooo!!!!

Shady Lady said...

OMG!! I so want a VitaMix!! How cool to get one for free. Hurray for the Law of Attraction! That totally rocks!

(sorry about the worms)

Zayna said...

That's too bad about the worms but awesome about the blender.

Funny how that all works out eh?

:)