February 16, 2010

Jumping For Joy

Come on in! But be sure to take your shoes off at the door. It's muddy out here.When I left you yesterday, Patsy and I were about to head outside to explore the property. That's just what we did and it was so cool! We found the cabin where the woman who lives here (she's an author) writes. We found a freaky abandoned trailer with broken windows and no door. We found an outhouse (also with no door) and an old rusty bath tub. We discovered the guest house, with its sliding barn door and super cool loft. We found the garden. We found a platform tree house and some of the craziest looking mushrooms I've ever seen. I cleaned off the trampoline and bounced a little as I surveyed the treetops. And then we went inside where I made tea and whole wheat pancakes. (I'm not being as strict with my healthy eating plan this week).

For the rest of the morning Warren, Patsy and I stayed inside while Jerry slept. I brought some photography books with me, so I started reading one of them. It's a nature photography workshop in a book. So, I read that and tried to take some pictures using the guidelines in the book, but I have a loooooong way to go.When Jerry woke up we all went for a walk around the property. We stopped in at the guest house, where Warren and Jerry played a game of foosball while I picked some fresh oregano from the garden. Patsy roamed freely, coming back to check on us every now and then. I believe she thinks she's died and gone to heaven. The only drawback to all this wide open space is that Patsy's hips are sore. Once she lays down at the end of the day it's hard for her to lift herself back up. I sense a hip surgery in her future.

After our hike around the property we came back to the trampoline. I set my camera up on a tripod so we could take goofy pictures of us in the air.


When we couldn't take it anymore we all limped back inside for lunch. Then, Warren and I had coffee on the deck. After that, we hung around the house for another couple hours, and then drove into Point Arena. It takes about 20 minutes to get there. Did I mention that this house is remote? To get here you have to get off highway 1, drive about 6 miles on a deserted, winding road, turn off that road onto a dirt road and drive another 1.3 miles to the long, dirt (but, mercifully straight) driveway. You have to enjoy solitude to live someplace like this.

After buying a few things at the market in Point Arena, we drove down to have a look at the Point Arena pier. It was cold and windy, so we didn't stay long. We plan to go back for some coastal exploration on Wednesday. Back at home, Warren started dinner while I wrote my newspaper article (the one about the teacher), then we ate dinner, watched a movie, and went to bed.

And now, here I am again. Sitting at the big window, looking out at the ocean which, up until this morning, has remained mostly hidden under a cover of gray clouds. Today, though, I can see the sparkling blue water. This place makes me want to jump for joy.

5 comments:

Shady Lady said...

What fun!! So where on the coast are you?

Thanks for posting the photos. Photography is something I want to work on. I've wrangled Freckle (from Such Lovely Freckles blog) to teach me. :)

Colleen said...

We're about 3 hours North of San Francisco. Mendocino is about an hour North of us, I think.

JJ Ross said...

You can take the girl out of the circus, but you can't take the circus out of the girl! ;-)

momentsofwhimsy said...

Haha - what JJ Ross said :-)

Sounds like an incredible location! Enjoy!

Zayna said...

Oh, for joy!

That's so awesome. All of it sounds so amazing. Thanks so much sharing.

:)